Monday, June 05, 2006

Firefly Firefly

Apparently, Wash is going to be killed off, not having signed for a potential sequal. More details at The Corner on National Review Online in an article by John Derbyshire titled: Death of Wash.

Who is/was Wash? You have to watch Firefly to find out. I fell in love with the series yesterday. We had apparently gotten our collective hands on the boxed set, and I was under pressure all weekend to watch it - someone presuming that I would enjoy it.

I procrastinated until yesterday morning, then, under pressure, broke down and started watching it. Apparently, my periodic bouts of laughter were somewhat distracting for anyone near me. I fell in love with it, and I don't do that very often with TV series and movies.

Yes, it is cheesy as they go. But that is part of why it is so good. Every episode has memorable scenes. Still, in the one I remember most vividely, the bad guy/traitor in the first episode was holding a gun to the head of River, making the obligatory speech, etc. about how he is now in control. The captain and his two major henchpeople comes aboard then, after a major firefight (mostly with revolvers), and just in passing, pulls out his gun, shoots the guy dead, and keeps on walking, leaving it to his henchpeople to toss the body out as they leave. We ran the scene three times, it was so good.

9:52 AM Display: Full / Chopped / Footer

Display: Full / Chopped / None

Display: Full / Footer / None

Display: Chopped / Footer / None