Thursday, August 25, 2005

Web server - Xenu Web server - Xenu

I found a great Web tool the other day: Xenu. It looks at all the URLs on a Web site and tells you which ones are broken. I ran it on my Web site (www.softpats.com) and found that I had three of my own. One was missing an ending quote (to Help, unfortunately). The second one was CSS file that I had changed in my other pages. And the third was a PDF copy of my resume that I had not put up on the web site. Very clean and easy to use.

In addition, I found that 3 or 4 of the "Useful Links" that I had included had moved or had disappeared in the four or so months since I put up the site. This is out of a hundred or so, so no surprise. But this is so much easier than what I did originally, which was to manually click on each link to verify it. Also, Xenu has a feature where you can ask it to retry links that failed - in this case, three links had timed out, and turned out to still be good, just slow.

Labels:

9:54 AM Display: Full / Chopped / Footer

Display: Full / Chopped / None

Display: Full / Footer / None

Display: Chopped / Footer / None