Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Server tribulations Server tribulations

In my spare time over the last couple of days, I have been trying to get a server operational (computer #G - see previous posts).

I somewhat got an email server running a couple of days ago. At first, it seemed like it wasn't working at all. I was able to send email to the SMTP server, but it didn't seem to go anywhere. Two messages to the server got lost between SMTP and POP3. But the two messages from SMTP to another SMTP host showed up the next day. Apparently, I need to play with the relaying timing.

Then I tried to get a web server running. I had had problems with standalone Apache awhile back on my old desktop (#D). So, I tried Vertigo, which has Apache integrated into it, among other things. Turns out, it runs Apache 1.1.31 or something. Couldn't get it to redirect out of the "Program File" directory, which is the last place I want web pages, log files, etc.

So, then I tried to install Apache (2.x). It installed, but wouldn't start. Uninstalled and reinstalled, same thing. Booted a couple of times. Either that message, or that it couldn't get to the port (80). Finally, in desperation, I uninstalled Vertigo and Apache, then reinstalled Apache. Seemed to be running. Tried it by using the server's IP address from another computer. Got the Apache intall page. Obviously, the redirect had not worked. Modified the registry. Ditto. Copied the config file into the place where I suspect it was looking for it. Ditto. Then, I remembered. Browser caching. Cleared the browser cache, and voila, SOFTPATS.COM web pages, pulled from where I want them to be.

Labels:

11:01 AM Display: Full / Chopped / Footer

Display: Full / Chopped / None

Display: Full / Footer / None

Display: Chopped / Footer / None