Thursday, July 17, 2008

Vista searching - using my Mac to find stuff on my Vista laptop Vista searching - using my Mac to find stuff on my Vista laptop

Last night I lost my toolbars in Visio 2003 on my laptop. I figured, no problem, I have saved the local configuration files, etc. for the various Office products. So, I figured that one of the files I needed to replace was Visio11.pip. That shouldn't be hard to find, should it? It probably would have taken maybe 5 minutes to scan my 40 gb hard drive under Windows XP or 2K. But Vista? Couldn't find it. Period. Couldn't even find the old version on the desktop.

So, what did I do to find it? I mounted my hard drive on my desktop Mac, and then used the Mac Finder Find command. It took about 5 minutes across the network for my Mac to find the files that Vista couldn't find on the system running Vista.

Labels:

12:12 PM Display: Full / Chopped / Footer

Display: Full / Chopped / None

Display: Full / Footer / None

Display: Chopped / Footer / None