Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Blogger Problems (#4) Blogger Problems (#4)

Uh oh. Taking a shower is sometimes scary.

I have been trying for over a week now to figure out why Blogger classified this blog as a spam blog. Nothing was making sense. It most most likely connected to my new look and feel, where I use CSS and Javascript to open and close up visibility to posts. But that seemed a bit draconian, given that the default for the blog itself is "Chopped".

And then the light went off. The two features that I most recently added to my blog's look and feel were a global viewing mode switch and a link to a help file for help in handling the viewing modes. And since that later means a link to the help file for each blog post, whether active or archived, that would mean 531 (this is 532) links to that one post. That was bad enough, but then, I realized that I didn't have one link to that help file per blog entry, I had four of them, one per viewing mode. That translates into 531*4 = 2,124 links to that one post in the posts plus one more in the heading for global viewing mode changes, for a total (until this is posted) of 2,125 links to that one post.

No wonder it looked like spam to Blogger - over 2,000 links from this blog to my static/dummy blog.

The answer is obvious - pulling out the link to the help file from each of the blog entries. Should take about 5 minutes to clean up after lunch.

Labels: ,

1:37 PM Display: Full / Chopped / Footer

Display: Full / Chopped / None

Display: Full / Footer / None

Display: Chopped / Footer / None

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephen C. Carlson said...

Did it work?

2:36 PM  
Blogger Bruce Hayden said...

Just updated my template and by removing those four links, removed 2,128 links to the help file. We shall see if it makes any difference. Will let you know.

It just goes to show how a little knowledge is dangerous.

p.s. Thanks for turning me on to the hover stuff. Even though I didn't ultimately use it, it got me playing with CSS, which was the foundation of my efforts here. The way it works is that I swap around a post level class name, and then do all the dirty work by combining the four post level class names with various lower level HTML elements and class names in CSS defines. It turns out to be clean and fast.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Bruce Hayden said...

Looks like that was the problem - or at least word verification has been removed from posting, and it was done w/i 24 hours of when I redid my blog template.

1:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home >>