Sunday, July 02, 2006

W(orst) W(orst)

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that had a big "W" and across the cross-arm of the W was "Worst". To, some extent, it reminded me of, for example, in a discussion at Althouse.com, being called "Brucey".

I couldn't decide if this implied wishful thinking or just a separation from reality. It is hard to imagine President Bush falling below, for example, Jimmy Carter, as a president. Carter managed to preside over stagflation, a malaise, and the Iranian embassy hostage crisis.

Rather, I suspect, when all the smoke settles, 30-50 years from now, Bush (43) will emerge as an almost near great president - maybe slightly below Reagan and Kennedy, and maybe Truman, in my lifetime, but above all the others. The economy is doing very well. There has been amazingly little corruption, and the president has been steady at the helm in this time of crisis.

If I were to pick an image to describe this president 50 years from now, I would probably pick the one where he is comforting that girl who lost a parent in the Twin Towers. My vision of Clinton is him playing that sax, with his pants possibly unzipped, while Rome burned.

And that is really what galls all those who put W(orst) stickers on their cars - Clinton, despite all his promise, IQ, etc., will, in the end, be rated significantly below Bush (43) as a president. Probably near the middle of the pack.

Labels:

7:38 AM Display: Full / Chopped / Footer

Display: Full / Chopped / None

Display: Full / Footer / None

Display: Chopped / Footer / None