Wednesday, May 31, 2006

System stuff System stuff

Weird problem. I just got a new 1gb memory. This system (#D) boots fine with it - to Windows 4.0. It hangs on booting to Windows 2000 Professional or Server.

On the better side, I also got a new 10/100 5 port hub. I plugged it into my router, and, after getting all the cables plugged in right, it works just fine, I think. I will have to run with it for a bit since about 1/4 of the pages I initially loaded in Mozilla didn't complete loading. But they don't always do this anyway, so it may be a normal Mozilla problem.

In any case, the reason for the hub is that I am getting two new printers. The photo-printer is USB, so it plugs into a USB hub somewhere, when I find room for it. But the high speed ink jet printer (HP 2300) plugs in a parallel port (or, I can get an ethernet adaptor), and I figure to use a print server I have lying around, which has an ethernet adaptor. I will probably ultimatley move my laser printer there too (currently, it is hooked to my router). Plus, I am adding a fifth/new computer (#H).

The router has 4 slots (before today for systems #D, #E, #F, #G). The hub has 4 slots plus an uplink. This gives me a combined total of ((4-1)+(5-1)) = 7 ethernet connections. Five will be used for computers, and one for the print server, leaving one spare. Currently, I have the four computers (including the one that is not running) connected to the hub, but will probably move the server to the hub, as well as the print server, since they are both 10mbs, and set the hub to straight 100mbs - since one of the hoped for advantages of the hub is slightly faster computer-computer transfers.

Labels:

1:35 AM Display: Full / Chopped / Footer

Display: Full / Chopped / None

Display: Full / Footer / None

Display: Chopped / Footer / None

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Especially I like the first site. But other links are informative too, if you are interested check all those links.http://neveo.info/2370.html and http://google-index.info/2455.html

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home >>