Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Libraries Libraries

One of the things that I love about libraries is that I don't have to buy the books. For most books, you can eventually get them if you are willing to wait.

My daughter's philosphy is that she buys books either if she intends to read them a lot of times (i.e. Harry Potter), or the line is too long. So, she bought "Eldest" by Christopher Paolini this year, as there were almost a hundred kids a head of her in line at the library. This is the second in a series of fantasy by that young author. He was 15 when he started writing the first book in the series, "Eragon".

Well, my wait has paid off. Last week, I checked up on "Freakonomics" by Steven Levitt. I had requested it several months ago, and wondered whether I had dropped off the list. It turned out, I was #7 of some 120 or so in line. Today, I just got the email that it is in the library across the street.

Lest anyone hasn't heard of this book, it was in the news last week when Bill Bennett got himself in trouble with the suggestion that one way to reduce crime was to abort all black babies (which he summarily rejected, in the part of his quote the MSM mostly left out).

10:03 AM Display: Full / Chopped / Footer

Display: Full / Chopped / None

Display: Full / Footer / None

Display: Chopped / Footer / None