Thursday, March 03, 2005

TCS: Tech Central Station - Shut the Window, It's Getting Drafty TCS: Tech Central Station - Shut the Window, It's Getting Drafty

TCS: Tech Central Station - Shut the Window, It's Getting Drafty

The whole idea of a draftee military is stupid. Day before yesterday I was working at Keystone ski resort, and spent some time talking to some guys skiing in camo. As I knew, they were in the 10th SF group at Fort Carson. Along with rock climbing, etc., they have to be able to ski.

It is hard to reconcile the type of guys I met there with the draftees I remember from the Vietnam era. The trainer I talked to had already done two tours of Afghanistan, and they were getting ready to go back to the Middle East. Enthusiastically.

It was interesting watching the military way of teaching skiing. But these guys were, of course (being Special Forces) all very fit and intelligent. The result was that they learned very quickly. They had a week to qualify, and I think most probably were going to make it.

The other interesting thing I noticed was that some of them, in particular, the trainers, had the best gear available. Top of the line AT bindings and boots, etc. Telescoping poles. I lusted after their boots (though I already have that binding - about $400 retail). They are apparently moving up from the previous generation of AT gear, with the philosphy that they need the best (and, as apparently the only remaining Army unit that skiis, they are getting it).

Labels:

8:53 AM Display: Full / Chopped / Footer

Display: Full / Chopped / None

Display: Full / Footer / None

Display: Chopped / Footer / None